6.24.2013

the tour

{pardon the blurry-ness of these pictures. Blame the phone-computer connection. boo.)

Oh did I have DREAMS of how to put Cole's nursery together! There were so many colors, patterns, and accessories to choose from...it was like 9 solid months of tearing my hair out. 
It began with us wanting to finish the basement, so everything that was going to go down there had to be stored in Cole's bedroom for a few months. Just look at the mess. There was nothing, I repeat, NOTHING I could do to organize this better. Not a day went by when I wouldn't cry over how messy this room looked. Wasn't it supposed to be my baby's room? Come on now. 
Anyway...


We still got moving on picking out furniture and accessories for the baby's room. Shane and I found this super cute and sturdy dresser at a yard sale fundraiser for $25. If you don't remember how incredibly and unbelievably awful this dresser was to re-do, I am not going to repeat the story. It's too painful to resurface into my memory.
To make the story short, after 6 attempts at sanding and repainting the beautiful beast and getting off-spray all over my parent's car and newly refinished garage floor at the end of the summer and pregnant, it turned out just fine.
There.


I had my heart set on this adorable and simple khaki and white bedding from Land of Nod. However, just for the crib skirt, 1 sheet, and blanket, it would have cost $145.
ONE HUNDRED FORTY FIVE DOLLARS...
for sheets and a blanket that would get spit up on, blown out on, and worn out within a few short years. I just couldn't do it! Shane and I decided that we'd rather put the extra money into a savings account for the little guy than spend it on bedding that he would never even care about.
So, every week I would check TJMaxx, Marshalls, and Home Goods for some deals on bedding. Each week I found the same 101 Dalmatian set that I also just couldn't buy (for obvious reasons...).
Luckily, while on vacation in Newport Beach, my sister in law spotted this adorable bedding! It was from Marshalls, and came with the embroidered skirt, bumpers, duvet cover with comforter, and 1 sheet. It was so well made, and cost $40.
FORTY DOLLARS!!
We were more than thrilled.


 I then purchased two framed canvases that after the sale price and a coupon, came to $3.50 a piece. I asked my 8 year old niece, Anna, if she would paint on them for Cole's room. I didn't tell her any specifics of what I was looking for, because I wanted her to use her imagination. I couldn't have hand picked anything better to hang on my little boy's wall! The picture on the left has a snake, chameleon, lizard, and monkey, and the picture on the right has a frog.
They are PERFECT for his room!


 We were so blessed from our parents too...my parents purchased our crib, and Shane's parents bought us the glider and ottoman.
On the wall behind where I am standing is a sepia toned picture of Christ holding a baby and they are both smiling. Shane gave it to me for mother's day because we had agreed that we always wanted Cole to see Jesus Christ the way we all picture him to be...joyous, and full of love.


Cole's room turned out completely differently than I had planned, but I wouldn't want it any other way! After all, it is HIS room, not mine, right?
It should be exactly the way HE would want it...reptiles and all!

2 comments:

Circe said...

It is darling! I love the process and the product!

Mat and Brooke said...

I love everything about Cole's room; especially the squeaky, impossible-to-open closet doors! Oh, the memories. :)