6.10.2013

teething: a tough and never-ending job

It goes something like this:

My teeth hurt so much that I scream and scream and mom tries so hard to get me to calm down but I just can't! Eventually, in desperation, she sets me in my chair with a handful of toys. Within two minutes I am asleep.

Then I wake up and I chew on anything that I can. Most of the time it ends up being my bib or burp cloth. Mom always cringes when I chew on these...the thought of me biting into cotton makes her feel weird.

Ah! Daddy is home! I can play for a minute to get my mind off of these sore gums.

But not for long.

I try again to fall asleep but I can't! So mama holds me, and walks me, and rocks me, and the whole time I squirm and grunt because I just don't like to be held. This time, mama found the perfect position for me to fall asleep in. One leg on the chair, one leg off.

 Soon I am up again and I join mom while she fixes dinner.  This time she was making sandwiches and I begged her for the ham container. It didn't feel as good as I was expecting.

 Then I wanted the butter knife. Oh boy did I want that shiny thing! Mom wouldn't let me have it, so we compromised on a spatula. I liked the spatula.

After dinner it is time for bed. I take a bath. I eat. It hurts. I cry. I chew on my bib. Mom cringes. I try desperately to wiggle out of her arms. She puts me in my crib.
Somehow, I fall asleep.

Until midnight.
And 2:00 am.
And 3:00-5:00 am.
Then we start all over at 6:30.

anyone have a burp cloth for me to chew on?

6 comments:

Carrera said...

That sounds rough! If you want suggestions let me know, I would be happy to share!

Jeff and Traci said...

I agree with you- I cringe at even just the thought of chewing on cotton! And I hope things ease up soon for you! :)

Circe said...

Love the zinger at the end! I have a burp cloth for you if you need it. ;) So funny...and cute...and tiring!

Leslee said...

have you tried letting him chew on a cold cucumber?? cucumber is a natural anti inflamitory.....helps his poor swollen gums. And it's refreshing :) Hope it gets better soon.

Mel said...

We are in the same boat! Teething is killer. We've been up at 2-4-6am for 3 nights in a row. I feel like a zombie. Hopefully it gets better soon!

Cody & Allison said...

If you need any tips or tricks let me know! Teething is the worst ever!