10.08.2012

Projects that NEVER end

You all remember that super adorable, well made dresser that Shane and I decided to re-finish for the baby's room?  We thought we had such a good idea and a fun project on our hands...
NOT.
The dresser took LOTS of sanding, and more than half of it had to be done by hand.  Because the sanding was so hard to do by hand, we decided to try some paint stripper to quicken the project.  The paint stripper didn't work...it only made the sanding worse.  It was like sanding through layers of glue, plus the stain on the dresser.  After tons of work and backache, it was finally ready for primer.
Primer went pretty smoothly, except that the dresser pretty much drank it up.  We had to do three coats of primer to even barely cover the wood!  Once that was finished, I began to paint.  While I was painting, something just didn't seem right...the paint was super thick and wouldn't spread on very well.  Once it dried it was really rough (there would be NO way to clean or wipe off the dresser if it got dirty...which it will with a baby!).  I was SO disappointed.  Back to sanding.
Shane and I then decided to try spray painting it, because we had heard of so many people who have had great success with spraying furniture.  We studied everything on how to do it just right, bought all the right tools, and showed up PUMPED that this time, it was actually going to work!  We just knew it.  After an hour of taping off the inside of the dresser and all the drawers (painful process) we began to spray.  IT DIDN'T WORK.  For some reason the wood wouldn't take the paint smoothly and it looked awful...even after all the proper preparation.  Plus, since we were doing this project at my parent's house, we realized that even after placing tons of drapes down underneath the dresser, the white spray paint still went all over their garage floor, walls, tools, etc.  We felt awful, and we were so upset and ready to throw in the towel...we were spending so much money on this dresser just trying to make it work, AND we were ruining my parent's property doing so!  We left that day feeling quite down.
That same day my cute parents put their heads together to try to figure out how to make the dresser work.  They sanded it down (again) and borrowed some paint that my sister in law had been using to paint a table in her home.  After trying out this new, super cool, super expensive paint...IT WORKED! This paint was totally amazing...it actually went on smoothly and made the surface just perfect.  After a few coats, the dresser looked just how we wanted it to.  
So, I am happy to announce that after a whole month of backache, heartache, and frustration, the dresser is happily sitting in the baby's room (but I still don't love it enough to take a picture to show you...it's going to take some time people).  Oh wait...have I even TOLD you about the baby's room?  
...it's a mess.
...a complete and total disaster.
And it all stared with our great idea to finish our basement (which is still a good idea, I'm just DONE with projects)...
Every piece of furniture and accessories that belong in the basement are filling up the baby's room...and there is no room to even organize the mess that is going on in there.  
We are in the beginning stages of painting the basement, and now that you know my feelings about paint, I am feeling overwhelming amounts of anxiety just getting started on it.  I need it done, and I need it done NOW.  It has taken us forever to get to this point, and I worry that it's going to be forever from here until it is done.  
But it can't take forever...you know why?  We have a sweet little baby boy on his way in just 10 short weeks, and he has nowhere to call a room (unless he wanted to sleep on boxes of bathroom fixtures...).  
You know why else?  That little boy's mama is going crazy with not being able to really prepare for him...to make sure that the house is clean (I don't even remember my house without dust, despite the fact that I dust every day), that the rooms are organized, and to establish a feeling of warmth and peace in this home once again.
I don't even have the mental capacity to post pictures of this mess right now...but I'm sure you can conjure up a great image in your minds of what I am going through.
What I need to remember is that all of this has come about because of this little blessing that we are calling our son.  We already love him more than our hearts can contain, which makes me inevitably love the chaos that is happening here.  
I'm just ready for it to be over...before he arrives ;)

5 comments:

Circe said...

Holy nesting instinct! You're SUPPOSED to feel this way and be doing crazy, impossible projects. It will all be fine. Enjoy the crazy! :)

N said...

I can only imagine how antsy and crazy that is making you feel. That would make me want to scream, or cry, or both. ...and I am not nearly as clean or organized as you are. If there is anything I can help with (with a toddler) I would LOVE to help. I know you had the dog at your parents. If you want the cat out of the way, we can take him.

Ruby Dopp said...

I am so glad you blogged! I love reading your blog. Too bad this one is a downer, but I know that it will all work out. Ptolemy has changed rooms twice and both times, its a crib in a laundry room. If the dresser is the only thing in the nursery, than a is good enough for the Dopps! And cuter than a washer and dryer!
PS. do you have a name yet? I would like to give you a list of names. :)

Bryan and Allie said...

I felt like I was reading my exact same thoughts at this moment! We've had the exact same chaos with trying to refinish furniture, and it can be SO frustrating. We're actually going to be refinishing my old baby cradle from when I was a little one. After reading this post, I'm thinking twice. haha. When we re-did our entertainment center this summer, we got BLACK overspray on our garage walls and cement that was brand new!! :( I guess drop cloths can't always be trusted.

I feel like we're in the same shoes. We are having to now finish our basement (so Bryans work office can be downstairs) and baby girl can have a room. We haven't even started and I'm starting to stress out a bit! Basement. Nursery. Nesting. Ahh, how is it all going to get done???

Just know you're not alone! Hang in there! :)

Mel said...

I totally understand what you're going through! I decided to buy a twin bed for Carter, and I sanded it, and tried to stain it (horrible idea) so I sanded again, then tried spray paint. While it was drying part of the bed fell and broke. I had to glue and putty and sand and paint again. What I thought would be a simple cute project was turning into a nightmare! I had even more problems, and probably should have just bought a new bed from the very beginning. But it's finally together and it all worked out (even if I still don't love it). I'm sure baby boy's room will look great before he gets here.