10.12.2012

right, or left? woes of a pregnant woman

Being pregnant has brought on some silly traits in me, one being that I seriously can't figure out right from left anymore.
While I teach ballet I will ask the girls to begin with their right foot in front (but in my head I am thinking LEFT foot).  They will all obey and put their right foot in front...then I proceed to boldly announce, "GIRLS.  I asked you to put your right foot in front. Please listen to what I am asking you to do!" (all while I am standing there with my left foot in front)
...of course none of them move and they all start looking around wide-eyed as if to say, "um...I'm not exactly sure what you want me to do here..." until one of the girls will dare to raise her hand to tell me that indeed they DO have their right foot in front.
Ugh, seriously?  Am I really that unintelligent?  Did I really just get upset at my dancers for following my instructions perfectly?!  And I promise you, this happens every single day that I teach.  Every.single.day.
Let's proceed to jazz class.  On the walk over from one studio to the other, I hold out each hand and lecture myself..."okay Kenzie, this hand is your left hand.  This hand is your right hand.  Left, right.  Get it right."  It doesn't work.  I STILL struggle...I still get stern with my dancers...I still feel totally embarrassed when I have to be corrected by a 10 year old.
And what's up with by ever hardening belly?  I can't for the life of me complete all of my jazz stretches with my dancers because the massive basketball that has implanted itself up underneath my rib cage doesn't deflate enough for me to be able to reach my toes.  Weird...this is something I definitely have never experienced before!  What makes it totally hilarious is that while I am strangling myself to get my hands near my feet to stretch, my little dancers mimic me, as if they should be feeling a stretch by not stretching at all.  Oh it makes me laugh!  Then I have to say "don't follow me!  You don't have a baby in your belly!  STRETCH!"
All of this is so new, so different, and so extremely exciting.  I may be big bellied and unintelligent, but I am becoming a mother.  I am blessed to still be able to be up on my feet teaching dance to many beautiful young girls, who don't judge me for my inconsistencies.  They compliment me on my teaching outfits (that are much to tight to be cute anymore), and cheer when I can still get into my splits, only to hold them for ONE second before I think my legs might rip out from underneath me.  Baby boy loves to move around while I attempt to show a pirouette, and especially while I am teaching a new petit allegro combination.  It reminds me that ALL of this is heaven sent, and meant to be.
(okay...but it really would help if I could remember right from left...honestly. oh well!)

6 comments:

Amy K said...

Oh what fun you are having!

Love you

Natasha said...

How funny, and amazing to have a baby on the way! What if you wear a bracelet on one wrist to remind you which is left and right? :)

C and MC said...

Nice Kenz. That's when you say, "I was testing you." :) So good seeing you and your hard belly the other day. Can't wait to meet your little man SO SOON!

marla said...

Good Luck Kenzie!!! I am 58 and still can't figure out my left from my right. Well....
I guess I can. My left is my right and my right is my left. Simple:)

Megan said...

I definitely had "pregnant brain" as well! Unfortunately it just turns into "mommy brain". At least it is worth it!

Mat and Brooke said...

Kenzie, I've got news for you. I am a complete shmuck every day of my life, and I'm not pregnant!! I never did know my left from my right...I don't think.

You are getting so close! I love you...and him!