6.23.2012

The race that I didn't intend to run

This morning my family had the wonderful opportunity of participating in the "Leg up for Life" fundraiser for a local girl who needs a prosthetic leg.  Mom, Shane, and myself were all helpers with the 5K run.  I can't shake the thoughts I have been having about one of the little runners, so I thought I'd share.
It seemed that all of the runners had passed, so mom began cleaning up her area when she saw a young boy in the distance, running toward her post.  She recognized the boy as a friend of my nephew's.  As the boy approached my mom could tell that he was really struggling, and he was crying.  Since he knew who she was, my mom offered to drive him back to Davis High School so he could stop running.    All he told her is that he wanted to finish the race.  Mom gave him her water, and called to let me know that he was on his way toward me.
As the young, red-faced, teary eyed, very tired boy approached me, I put my arm around him and told him that I'd be happy to take the shortcut back to Davis and walk it with him.  He told me, as he had my mom, that he wanted to finish the race.  I couldn't let him do it alone.  The other runners were far, far in front of him, and he was clearly struggling.  I gave mom my chair and purse and said, "Well then, I'll run with you."
In my flip flops and white skinny jeans, the tired boy and I ran together the rest of the 2 miles to the finish line.  It wasn't easy (for either of us), but how grateful I felt that we did it together.
As we were running, I thought a lot about my Savior, Jesus Christ.  There are so many times in my life that he has stopped by and offered help to me, so many times when I thought I could do it on my own.  How blessed I feel that he knows my needs...that he will stop yet again, no matter how many thousands of people need help too, and be with me.  Walk with me.  Run with me.  Carry me...  help me on my way toward crossing the finish line when I will be able to see him, kneel at his feet, and thank him for never ceasing to believe in me.
I'm sure that sweet, young boy will never forget the race he ran today, and I will never forget the silent lesson I learned as I ran it with him.

11 comments:

Circe said...

Pregnant, in flip flops and skinny jeans, right before two ballet recitals (and after a whole week of them!) Kenzie, you are one of a kind.
Love you!

Circe said...

PS...my friend has a great picture of you on her blog, Wordseed on my sidebar. So cute!

Jennifer said...

Circe told me at church today that I must check your blog. I am so glad I did. What a beautiful story. I can see why my daughter Emma adores you so much. Your testimony surely shines in the light in your eyes, and through your service to others. Thank you for helping her have a wonderful time in ballet. (She joined your MWF 5 p.m. class mid-year. And to ease the thoughts of "blog stalker! blog stalker!", I did meet you once. ;) I'm the one who introduced myself at the grocery store.)

At Thursday's staging I sat behind a mom (of girls in another class), who was effusive in her praise of you. Just seeing you fine-tune the girls, reminding them to point, lift elbows, etc. -- this mother she could tell right away what an effective teacher you are.

By the way, I loved the crocodile dance!

Rachael said...

Kenz,
I just love you! You always have something uplifting to share. I hope I can be as positive as you one day!

marla said...

Beautiful story, beautifully written by a one-of-a kind beautiful girl. Thank you for sharing and lifting all of our spirits.
Love You Kenzie

Bain Becomes a Master said...

Kenz, you are such an amazing, beautiful person!

Mat and Brooke said...

Kenzie, what a beautiful post. What a beautiful PERSON. I love you so much. :)

C and MC said...

You are so good at knowing what is important. Love it.

N said...

So touching! I don't think I would have even thought of running with him. You are such a good example.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully told and written by a truly beautiful person inside and out. What an amazing experience to have in such a little event in life. I think I get too caught up in being busy and on the go, go, go to stop a appreciate the little things in life. I hope one day that I can be just as compassionate, loving, positive, and spiritual like you. I truly feel blessed to know you and look up to you. Thank you for always being a good example for me.

Leslee said...

Thanks for Sharing. I will be posting a similar post here in a bit when I get some picture uploaded. I too had a similar Testimony builder about the Savior and his love for us.

Much love,

Leslee