11.12.2013

Good intentions

I had this great resolve a few weeks ago to jump back into the blogging world again, but here I am, weeks later, and still haven't written one word.
The phrase I keep saying in my head day after day and hour after hour is: "HOW in the WORLD do moms with multiple children DO THIS?!" Holy shnikey I swear I have zero seconds in the day to spend to myself. I don't want to go on and on about our ongoing sleeping issues in this household, but that's part of the problem. Add battling a never ending cold for Cole and me on top of that, and the sleep issues exponentiate.
Cole is literally into everything. He figures out how to pile blankets and stuffed animals inside his crib so he can climb out during nap time. He and I climb the stairs at least fifty thousand times a day, and luckily, Cole is the only one who falls down them about ten thousand times a day. The animals are left without food and water, because I don't agree with feeding my child cat and dog food for breakfast, brunch, lunch, linner, and dinner. I pull Cole out of the kitchen drawers, pry scissors out of his hands, run after him when he has pulled out the floor vents again and tried to climb inside, put bandaids on his tiny, super wiggly hands when he cuts them on said floor vents, and clean up blood all over the floors (oh yeah, and spit up too...why in the world are we still battling that problem?). I change my wallflowers from one outlet, to another outlet, to another outlet, only to have them all put on top of the fridge, give Cole half of my half peanut butter & honey sandwich (as if a half sandwich is enough for a starving pregnant lady anyway, now I'm left with a fourth), move the TV back so he won't pull it over again, and box up the last bits of decorations that I have tried desperately to keep out, but can't keep hands OFF of. I pull him out from under my bed and remove 5 or 6 electrical cords out of his mouth, save him after he does yet another front flip out of his jumper (we bought that thing to keep him contained so I could shower for heaven sakes...now he does front flips out of it), and I try to stay patient during his temper tantrums.
Let me remind you that Cole turned 11 months old today.
Let me also remind you that I am beginning my 6th month of pregnancy. I am getting bigger. I am hungry. I am oh so tired.
HOW in the WORLD do moms with multiple children DO THIS?!
Poor Shane is a different story. That incredible man leaves home at 5:30 in the morning to get to work, and most nights doesn't get back until 10:00 at night. The days when he is home at 5, I rush off to teach ballet. Then he has homework (lots of it), and scoutmaster duties. He is so busy and as you can imagine, so, so tired. I feel like I can't support him at all...heavens, I can't even get dinner on the table for him. It makes me feel awful just thinking about that.
I have Nutcracker coming up next week which is a HUGE, completely magical production that takes a lot of time and effort. I was given a second calling as the Relief Society Committee Chairperson. Do you know what that person does? I didn't. The chairperson organizes and runs all of the evening meetings (activities) that the Relief Society sisters go to throughout the year. Yeah. Our big Christmas one is coming right up - and I'm barely keeping my head above water. Cole is turning ONE the day after the Christmas activity. The day after that, Shane is graduating from college. And then BOOM! Christmas is here.
My eyes are currently cross-eyed and my heart is beating much faster than it should be - I'm certain.
Last week, my sister showed up to find me in a heap of tears, mostly from exhaustion. She scooped up my little Cole pickle and gave me a couple hours to relax. Today, my mom did the same thing so that I could finally get some things done for this Relief Society night. I keep wondering when I am going to get on top of my life...wondering when I will stop having breakdowns every other day. The cold hard truth is that I know it's not going to end...in fact, it's only going to get harder. In a few short months, this house is going to be the home for another sweet little baby boy - and heaven help us all when that happens.
I am going to be a mom with multiple children.
oh
my
gosh.

6 comments:

Circe said...

Ok, it sounds like you're freaking out. That's good. It shows that you're in the game, not checked out in front of the tv eating cheetos. You are in the very hardest stage right now, in my opinion. Don't worry. Everything will be easier when you're not pregnant and you have that cute little babe to snuggle. I have to laugh at your description of Cole. I sometimes look at Tiz and think, "are you for real with the scissors and knives and cartons of juice and heater vent covers, standing in the table ripping up all the flowers in the vasr and throwing them on the floor?" It's so funny! I hope everything gets easier. You're totally in the freak out stage of pregnancy, so go for it! :) see you at nutcracker!

Anonymous said...

I would put the twins in their pack and play with some toys so I could get some things done. If your calling it too overwhelming and you find it taking away from the family I would ask to be released. I have finally learned that it is okay to ask to be released when it was interfering with family. I shower at night after the twins are in bed. I put a baby gate up where the cat food was. My house is a constant disaster and I never decorate. I am constantly saving someone's life. Hang in there! Try to enjoy this stage because you will miss it.
Love Jess

Barbara said...

You are not alone my friend. I'm not sure a day goes by when I don't think, "How do people have more than one kid?" Obviously it's manageable because lots of people do it, but it's scary to think about. You'll do great though. And it sounds like you have a good support system.

Angie Williams said...

Oh, Kenz - I love your blog. You are so REAL. I have no idea what you're going through because I don't have kids yet, but what I know from knowing you and reading your other posts is that you love with your whole heart, and regardless of the craziness I'm sure your husband and little boy can feel that love. I'm not good with my words - but just know I'm thinking of you.

Heather said...

I have had good intentions of commenting on this post for a while and I hope that you are feeling better about things now but here is an article I really think you should read!

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/simcha-fisher/to-the-mother-with-only-one-child

You are an amazing mom! I can tell how much you love all THREE of your men from your posts, they are so lucky and blessed to have you in their lives!

Don't think us mom's with multiple kids have it all together! I am sitting ignoring all the messes right now so I can have some me time since the boys are sleeping!

You can do it! You area amazing!

Allison said...

Hang in there Sweets! You can do this. I promise.