11.06.2010

Perfect Imperfection

At Nutcracker practices my dancers work hard memorizing their choreography so that once they are on the stage to perform, they can dance it with PERFECTION.

I delight in knowing that my dancers work so SO hard to achieve this goal... it is so fulfilling to watch from backstage as every toe is pointed, every hoop is moving in the right direction, and every sweet smile is in its place.

Today during practice we ran the dance... over, and over, and over again. When a mistake was made, back to the beginning every girl would march, hoping that in the next go around no mistakes would be made. They worked as hard as they always do, and I was impressed with their dedication.

After individual practice we combined with all of the other dancers for finale rehearsal. I knew my dancers would be perfect, because that's what we had worked so hard to achieve. When their turn came to dance, I was astonished at not only the small, but the very large and obvious mistakes that were being made... what was happening? I felt frustrated, and sad. They know this dance! They know their parts! Why is this not perfect like it was 10 minutes ago?!

As I stood around the other teachers feeling fumed, I glanced over at my dancers huddled back in a corner. Each of them looked so content, watching silently as the other dancers leaped and turned all about the floor. I quickly became overcome with feelings of guilt. "They ARE perfect" I thought. "They did exactly what I had asked of them - to dance their very best". To be honest, I wouldn't have it any other way.

After I gave each of the girls a high five and a wink, I drove home contemplating my internal behavior. My thoughts quickly turned to the Savior... the ultimate teacher. He doesn't teach expecting us to come out perfect. He wouldn't make us turn around and start over so we wouldn't make any mistakes. Our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ give us the opportunity to make mistakes so that we may learn, we may grow, and so that next time, we can be better. We are only expected to do our best; to TRY to be perfect, not to BE perfect; and I think that's exactly why we all can feel of their love for us. How proud they must feel every time we serve someone in need, or kneel to pray in seeking for direction....

How proud I feel every time I see a smile, or witness the beautiful countenance on each dancers face. How proud I feel to be their teacher; to watch them stumble, to watch them grow, and see each of them finding their own perfection.

Perfection doesn't come in pointed toes or turned out legs. It comes in lifting our chins, stepping out onto the stage with confidence, and dancing our very, very best.



xoxo

8 comments:

Circe said...

AMEN!
Thanks for the reminder, both in Nutcracker and in life! Love it!

Natasha said...

Loved the insight, You have an awesome job! And SUPER cute hair!

Bryan and Allie said...

Love your thoughts Kenz! I absolutely adore you. You are a beautiful dancer, and I know your dancers are trying their best to be just like their teacher! :)

love ya girl!

Nina said...

I love that post! That last phrase was the perfect ending. I will have to add that to my quote book. It is a very good lesson.

Mat and Brooke said...

Oh my sweet Kenz. Such perfect words on imperfection. We ALL need this from time to time in our lives to be reminded of who we are and why we're here, and to most of all - DO OUR BEST! And, by the way; could you come teach my next R.S. lesson? The Sisters would LOVE it!
Love you Sweetie,
Mom

Tommy, Brittney and Ryder Patane said...

You always teach me so much! You are such a wonderful friend and example in my life. Thanks girl.

The Wangsgard's said...

Oh Kenzie, you're such a good example to me! Thanks for the reminder to keep trying. It was so good to get to see you and Shane yesterday. I miss you! It was good to see your smiling face again. I'm so grateful you're in our family! Love ya!

Mat and Brooke said...

I think you are the most amazing teacher. I loved reading your post and feel thrilled beyond measure that you'll be Savanna's ballet teacher next year! I love you!