11.15.2010

Life and the balance beam

Tonight I was able to go watch my little 6 year old niece at gymnastics. I watched intently as she practiced a series of steps on the balance beam. Slides, jumps, dips, balances on one leg... her cute little body with arms stretched out like an airplane did its very best to keep her on the balance beam. Occasionally she would lose that hard earned balance and fall. Each time she would quickly pick herself up and pull with all her strength to get her body back up on the beam. It looked hard. My muscles ached by just watching her struggle to get back up.

I thought a lot about her practice and how that's just how life goes. We all try our very best to walk that thin line of safety, of happiness, of success... but much of the time we lose our sight, (sometimes at no fault of our own) let go of our strength, and fall off the beam. While sitting on the ground looking at all those who are still walking a perfectly balanced line we tend to think that it isn't worth the difficulty of trying to get back up. It's too hard. But someway, somehow, we find ourselves pulling to get back on that thin line.

Savanna and I hopped into the car and I looked back at her while her quiet, and worn out eyes looked out into the night from the tinted window.

"My muscles feel so tired." She quietly stated.
"I think I need a treat."

Gymnastics is hard...just like life. But most of the time we do our best to muster up the strength to pick ourselves back up, even if it seems impossible.

I think you are right Savanna...let's go get some ice cream.

Together.

xoxo Savanna baby. I love you.

4 comments:

Circe said...

Beautiful! I think you walk the balance beam with grace, spreading joy as you go. Thank you!

meleah said...

Kenzie, I love reading your posts. I didn't even realize that Savanna is in gymnastics. BTW-I am really excited to hear how the Nutcracker goes!

Mat and Brooke said...

That was the sweetest post. You write so well. I felt like I was there and could see the entire scenario. Thank you for sharing your words of wisdom and insight!! I love you Kenzie.

Nina said...

I love learning life's lessons through metaphors! They always seem to come in life's perfect moments. Thanks for sharing. I think I fell off my balance beam this week and that is just what I needed to hear.