8.03.2010

Let's play Doctor....

Here are a couple pictures from jaw surgery #6! On March 30th I had surgery on my left TMJ joint during which Dr. Austin found a large bone spur that had worn completely through the tendon. It felt good to finally have an answer, and get it fixed!
Dr. Simmons who is a friend and co-worker of Dad's, and also one of my friend's Dad, was my anesthesiologist, and he was amazing. He cared SO much for me and checked on me so often.
I think I am finally becoming a little more brave when it comes to IVs (I hope!). I went to sleep just fine, but woke up at the end of surgery with the intubation (sp?) tube still down my throat! I managed to stay calm and after just a few seconds (which felt like an eternity) they pulled the tube out so I could breathe. I later found out that during cases that have to do with the mouth or jaw, it is necessary for the patient to wake up completely before the tube can be taken out; otherwise, if the tube is taken out too early and complications arise, forcing the tube back down would damage the entire surgery. I am SO glad I didn't have that!


Dr. Simmons, Dad, Kenzie, Shane
Again, a huge thank you to my family and friends who have prayed for us and my silly jaw! Although it seems to frustrate many people, I have come to realize that I am grateful for having the opportunity to endure through the complications. The patience that I have practiced has been needed for me; Mom always said that patience was a virtue, and even though it took me 22 years to understand that, I think I finally do! These surgeries have also helped me over my fear of hospitals, needles etc. I knew that someday I would need to get over that hump, and I am almost there.

1 comment:

Nina said...

We are so glad your jaw is finally doing better. Maybe someday you and Shane can stay away from hospitals.