1.11.2010

Surgery number 5...are we done yet?

(Shane & I decided that it would be good to have this post for our records - not for sympathy votes! Thanks!)
THE LONG PROCESS GOES AS FOLLOWS...

JUNE 2007: Wisdom teeth are removed to open space for jaw surgery incision
DECEMBER 2007: Braces are put on to begin realignment of teeth
MARCH 2008: It is discovered that a tooth implant will be required to have complete function of mouth but there is not enough room for the gum advancement. A gum graft is required.
APRIL 2008: Gum graft on lower four teeth accompanied by a tongue clip is completed
JUNE 2008: Advancement for tooth implant begins
FEBRUARY 2009: Gum advancement is completed, date of surgery is set.
MARCH 2009: Tooth implant is fixated into lower right jaw bone; upper jaw is separated, shaved down, and fixed back into place with 4 titanium plates and 18 screws. Mouth is wired shut to help with healing.
MAY 2009: Return to work; begin to chew soft foods; upper teeth, lips and cheeks are still numb.
JUNE 2009: Braces come off!
JUNE 2009: New braces are put on...
JULY 2009: Beginning to regain normal smile.
OCTOBER 2009: Braces come off, again!
NOVEMBER 2009: MRI completed on left jaw joint to research why it is locked.
DECEMBER 2009: Left jaw joint is operated on to remove excess fluid.
JANUARY 2010: Jaw therapy begins, to be continued twice a week for the next six weeks.


While in recovery from my last surgery I supposedly requested a picture with my amazing oral surgeon, Dr. Blaine Austin. I have felt so blessed to have Dr. Austin be the one working with me...I will be very honest, the hardest part about all of this is having someone work on my FACE; my IDENTITY. I had so many questions...will I ever look the same? Will people still recognize me? It was difficult to put my trust into someone who would be dealing with the precious parts about ME. Before I went in for my maxillofacial surgery, I realized that Dr. Austin cared just as much about who I was as I did. I have been able to see Dr. Blaine Austin for almost 3 years now, and I feel lucky for that! He made a promise to me that he would try to calm my childlike fears of surgery and make me feel comfortable with the subtle changes in my face, my smile, and the way I can eat...I think the only thing that needs some work now is my fear of surgery!



Thank you to all of those who continue to support Shane and I in this seemingly endless recovery!


XOXO

5 comments:

just dandee said...

We love you so much Kenz!!! Always!I think you will be glad you chose to write all that down. This has been a huge part of life for you. Keep being strong.

Rachael said...

You are such a trooper! I don't think I could go through all that!

Mat and Brooke said...

Hi Kenz, this is Mom. Good idea to have all of your trials documented! I like how simple it is yet FULL of information. One day Kenz, one day this will all be over and you will have that beautiful smile to show for all you (and Shane) have been through. Sure love you Sweetie. Love, Mom

P.S. The picture of the two of you on horses? That's just how you're going to look on July 27th 2010 only without the horses. Cool! Congratulations! Those lucky kids!!

Bryan and Allie said...

Kenz,
I can't even imagine going through this. Keep going strong, and it'll all be over soon. You are gorgeous and I think you have a beautiful smile. I miss you lots, and think about you often.

Love, Allie

Kylee Adam said...

I have never seen Dr. Austin's hair before! haha I didn't even recognize him in this picture because I have only seen him in the O.R. where he wears those special hats. I am so glad your surgery went so well. I just wish I could have been in assisting during it! It was so fun to see you at the shower on Saturday. Hopefully I will see you again soon!