1.19.2010

What's your excuse?

For the past three years, I have been a big supporter of public transportation. After Shane and I got married, he too jumped on the boat with me on the subject. For my birthday in 2008, I got a bike to ride to and from work...not only would it save some money, but I would be decreasing the amount of harmful chemicals that plague our earth today. Shane and a few fellow employees made use of the awesome carpool lane on the freeways on their commute to Murray and back. Shane also uses the Frontrunner train and UTA buses to and from school, all in hopes of making the small difference in improving our air quality. Shane and I also love to walk to church...just one more small way to prove that we don't NEED our personal vehicles.
This past sunday was cold. And foggy. And the air was filled with pollutants. And we were almost late for church. "Can we please take the car to church today?" was my plea to Shane. After just slight hesitation he agreed...with that crappy air it wouldn't be good to walk anyway. We hopped in the cold car and as we pulled out of the driveway we saw our friends, Marianne, Chris, and their adorable baby Camden, all wrapped up and WALKING to church. Shane and I looked at each other and knew we both had the same thought in mind... what was our excuse for driving to church? We live ONE BLOCK AWAY...it takes just as much time to drive as it does to walk! We complain about the smog filled air...well what did we think we were doing? Our friends live at least triple the distance away from the church, if not more...I hope they realize what an awesome example they have set for Shane and me. They walked to church when Marianne was overdue with Camden, they walk when it rains, they walk when it's hot, they walk when it's foggy, snowy, and cold.
We have NO excuse...
Help us reduce harmful carbon emissions...walk, bike, carpool, and make use of our public transit systems. We all want a healthy world to live in!

5 comments:

Mat and Brooke said...

I seriously would walk EVERYWHERE if it were possible! I love to walk. Especially with my kids in the stroller and Savanna on her bike or scooter. It's going to be even more fun now that we have a dog, too! Yea for walkers, bikers, car-poolers, and front runner users!! ;)

(Funny I should read that post right now, because I JUST got home from a walk and put my kids down for naps!)

C and MC said...

Oh my Kenzie, this post is too much. We walk because Chris is crazy and won't let us drive. So . . . our (at least my) motives aren't as pure as you make them out to be. We love being in the same ward as you, and are glad to see you on the way to church (walking or driving). :)

Mat and Brooke said...

Hi Kenz, it's Mom. I'm with you ALL the way! I LOVE to walk just to walk. I remember when Dad and I were first married and I asked him if he'd like to go for a walk and his question was, "where to"? Where to! Doesn't matter! Just enjoy the outdoors and get some exercise while out there. I would love to walk everywhere I go if it were possible to do so. Truly, I was jealous of the Dutch people when we visited because that's just what they do. Their terrain is a bit easier to maneuver and distances to so long though. What a great way to live! Keep us your great attitude, it'll rub off on others:)

Nina said...

I think about that all the time, but I seem to make excuses a lot! When I was working at Kid's First, I planned on walking, but then decided that the Director couldn't be all sweetie... and that was very close. I was so impressed by Sara(in your ward) I never heard her complain about walking and she walked to work everyday. She even walks to go shopping miles away. I do make a lot of excuses, but you'll be happy to know that for the Head Start Conference, everyone from Davis is carpooling or taking the Frontrunner. That is probably saving more than 100 cars driving to Sandy.

Mat and Brooke said...

Hi Kenz it's Mom again. Sorry about the above comment. Two mistakes is two too many. Sorry about the inability to understand it very well towards the end. I've been embarrassed about and had to finally apologize. Love you Sweetie! Mom