10.08.2013

Putting it all out there.

I wrote this post and then saved it because I didn't feel ready to share. I have moved past my fear of being judged, which is why I have now decided to let others read my words. I hope by doing so, others may realize that they are not alone during their trials!
Pregnancy #2 was not planned. It was not expected. To be honest, it wasn't even accepted into my weary mind for the first week or so. I was dumbfounded...there was no science to back up how this little baby turned up inside of me. I felt scared, I felt lonely. Sadly to say, I even felt a little embarrassed.
I was a little over 5 weeks along when I called Shane at the hospital and asked them to relay the message, "I don't know whether to cry, or to laugh". He knew exactly what I meant.
A few weeks after delivering Cole, my mind took over and wrenched me to places that I vowed I would never go. I remember trying to convince myself that I wasn't one of "those" people...that I wasn't one to suffer with postpartum depression. It came on gradually, but it felt so sudden. I loved, LOVED my baby, but I was overwhelmed with new, daunting tasks - like breastfeeding and trying to keep my house clean. When Cole would be up for hours and hours in the middle of the night with no relief during the day, I became overly exhausted, and I questioned my Father in Heaven for allowing me to be a mother. Often times I prayed and plead that we could rewind and let Cole, my sweet miracle baby, to be sent to a better mother...a mother who could take him to the store or walk him around outside without having a mental breakdown. A mother who could put everything else aside to tend to the needs of this little one who required so much patience and love. I remember at my 6 week postpartum appointment, feeling desperate for the nurse or doctor to notice that I didn't seem like myself, so that I could have some excuse to ask for help. To my dismay, both happily noted that I seemed to be "so on top of motherhood" and that I "radiated happiness" for this new life I was given. I sunk. I was speechless. What was I to say? I was already embarrassed and confused as it was...I wasn't going to stop them and tell them that they were incredibly wrong.
Eventually, I stopped praying. I couldn't find relief, and I had dismissed any thought of seeking for hope. My faith was gone, and my heart only stayed beating for that sweet baby...that little angel that filled my home with his little spirit.
After a few months of all of us suffering, Shane and I decided that it would be worth going completely broke so that I could get help. Therapy sessions and medication would have taken every spare penny, plus much of our savings. It needed to happen. That same week found me staring down at a bold, positive pregnancy test, for the second time in my life.
My initial reaction was to laugh. That laughter very quickly turned to tears, and tears, and more tears. I literally wept two whole nights away without sleep. My doctor had told me that I needed to see this second baby as another miracle, because there literally was no explanation as to how I could have conceived. I knew it was impossible, but I sure didn't see the miracle part of it all.
Then it hit me. This was a miracle.
Pregnancy, for some odd reason or another, had wiped away my anxiety and depression the first time around. I didn't want to be medicated during pregnancy, but was afraid to not be. After only a few short weeks of weaning from my medication, I felt perfectly fine. I felt normal, I felt happy, I felt content! Now that #2 was on his way, I realized that my Heavenly Father truly was looking out for me. He knew my desperation, and he also knew how to fix it. How blessed I feel that my mentality has had the same outcome with this pregnancy as it did the first...how grateful I feel that I could be trusted again with another miracle. This time around, we will know what to expect after I deliver, and I will have help aligned BEFORE anything could possibly go awry.
Shane and I couldn't be happier for this new spirit to enter into our home. He was the miracle I had been praying for all that time. I can hardly wait to see my two boys, causing incredible mischief and driving me crazy...it brings me to joyous tears thinking of the bond those two will share.
I am blessed, beyond measure.


11 comments:

Circe said...

Kenzie! What an incredible story! It's funny how we can't even imagine the ways in which HF has in mind to bless us. I am so sorry to hear that you were in so much pain. I, along with everyone you know, probably, now feel badly that I wasn't there for you. I wish I had been perceptive enough to help. Thanks for sharing. I am so excited about the little miracle!

Heather said...

Sweet Kenzie, you are incredible! I admire you so much and really do think you are amazing! I think what can be so hard about motherhood is that no one ever really talks about how hard it can be sometimes, they only talk about how wonderful it is. Don't get me wrong, it is wonderful but it can be hard at times and it is exhausting, especially when you're not getting sleep and I can only imagine what it would be like if you are dealing with postpartum. I wish more people were open about their trials so that people could get the support they need and know they aren't alone. I know we haven't dealt with the same things but I have appreciated your testimony in times when I have been struggling with other things in my life. I really do look up to you and I want you to know that I would absolutely LOVE to watch Cole or this new baby ANY time when you need a break or a nap or just some time to yourself! Parker would LOVE a buddy to play with! I am so excited for you and Shane with this new baby boy on the way!

Shar and Tyson said...

I love you, Kenz!

Tammi said...

I love that you are able to express this all in words. I think sometimes we all feel overwhelmed, but I am glad you realized it was more than that for you. It takes a very strong person to realize their defeat. The second one might not affect you the same, might be able to do day to day tasks without any issues. Kenzie I am so happy for your new addition, you truly are an amazing person, and I am so happy to know you!

Heather said...

You are amazing and both of your sweet babies are super lucky to have you as their momma! I don't even how to say how impressed I am with you and your faith!

Bain Becomes a Master said...

I love that you eventually shared this. It needs to be spoken about. We are so lucky that you are incredibly eloquent with your words. You have a gift with writing, by the way. Congratulations! You boys (all 3 of them) are so lucky!

Carly said...

Thank you for sharing cute girl. And you are most definitely not alone! You are the most beautiful mother, and I admire you so much. Thank you for always have such kind and wonderful things to say to me. Love you!! And Congrats!!!

Jennifer said...

It is brave, and needed, for you to share this perspective. I am so, so sorry that you felt inadequate as a mother for Cole. I only know you through your being my daughter's dance teacher, but that is enough for me to know how kind, gentle and light-filled you are. I hope you will grow to think of this second baby as Heavenly Father's vote of confidence in you. Take care.

Leslee said...

Kenz you are Truly Amazing!! Thanks for putting your experiences into words. Depression is so REAL! I can't even express how grateful I was that there was a general conference talk on Depression this year. I think more people need to understand just how real it is and that getting it under control with help is so important. I Love that Heavenly Father knows each one of us so well! He will bless us with the strength we need to Endure those trials (another general conference talk)
Congrats on Baby Boy #2!! We LOVE BOYS at our house too!! Brothers just have the sweetest bond! Let me know if you need anything.

-Les-

Mat and Brooke said...

I love what "Jennifer" said. It made me cry! How uplifting and comforting that perspective must be. There is no question that Heavenly Father watches over and protects each of us and, indeed, comes to our aid when He feels the time is right. Your efforts to be a righteous mother have not gone unnoticed by Him. I think we all sort of have unrealistic expectations for childbirth/rearing at times. We have these unrealistic expectations because we have no way of knowing what it's like until we're actually thrust into doing it...overnight! It is an intense and draining responsibility. But those of us who are mothers realize that this is why it brings us such priceless joy. It is incomparable to anything else in this world.

You will be a dynamite mother of two baby boys--and yes, I think you will love it. Both boys are lucky to belong to you! I love you!

Emily said...

I'm glad you took the time to write this all down, it is therapeutic in my opinion to get it all off your chest. SO excited for Cole to have a cute brother to play with!!