1.12.2011

1.11.11

What a day to have a birthday! Most of our family were able to get together to celebrate one of the greatest men on earth...my Dad! My mom made it so fun - chili and bread sticks, homemade brownies and frosting, and homemade cheesecake (Grandma Ferguson's recipe) with berries.

Brooke, Mat, Cory, Nina, Eric, Michael
Holly, Kenzie, Mom, Bryce (holding baby Eric)
Easton, Todd, Dad, Nyle
Lauryn, Savanna, Tyler



Because Dad's birthday fell on 1.11.11, I thought I would share 11 'I love you's' about my Dad:
1. He always came (and still does) to every performance. Dad's applause could always be heard first, and louder than anyone else's, simply because he felt so proud.
2. Staying up into the early hours of the morning to help with math homework was a regular routine, because quitting was not an option.
3. Teaching me how to appreciate the simple things in life, like a good piece of homemade bread and jam.
4. For being the world's greatest handyman. Somehow, Dad even knew how to fix every broken heart with only a few words and a warm embrace.
5. Turning little things into a science project for the mind. 'Look at the difference between the composition of this dirt, in comparison to that dirt...what makes it that way?' This is exactly how Dad thinks every minute of every day, I just know it. He is SO SMART!
6. Dad knows the answer to every question...NO MATTER WHAT. But Dad doesn't just answer the question, he answers it with the wisest of words.
7. For respecting and openly loving my Mom every minute of every day. Watching the way he treated her made me realize what every woman deserves in a companion, and it always encouraged me to be better, so that I might have the chance to marry the best (and I sure think he is :)..).
8. For listening to me when all I needed to do was talk. For holding me tight when all I could do was cry.
9. For making dinner time, family time. No phone calls were answered, and no work was done. It was all 8 of us, great conversation, and amazing food every night. (With a little bit of bickering from Brooke and me over who got to sit next to Dad... :))
10. Always caring so much without seeming protective, even though I know that's how he feels inside! But no kidding Dad, I can't thank you enough for caring. If you didn't care, I wouldn't be where I am today.
11. For saying "I love you" EVERY TIME we talk.
---
Thank you Dad for allowing me to fall, for picking me back up, and for knowing me well enough to carry me when I couldn't carry myself.
I love you.

(more posts below)

4 comments:

C and MC said...

I LOVE that in that first pic I thought Brooke was you at first. You look like twins, especially with twinner short hair. :)

Russell and Lauren said...

Such a touching post! You are so good with words!

Nina said...

What a perfect post! Greg sure is amazing. I honestly think he is the smartest person I know, BUT he doesn't act like he is better than everyone. I feel so blessed to have Greg as a second farther!

Mat and Brooke said...

I'm glad someone has the perfect words to truly express how wonderful our dad really is. :) Thanks for your beautiful words!