3.04.2010

Medical Mission Ecuador

For ten beautiful days we were captured by the pure happiness of the Ecuadorians.
Hundreds of children, teens, and adults all traveled miles hoping to be cured of their deformities by our team of magnificent doctors...and even though only a fraction of those people were able to receive surgery, all considered themselves blessed to simply be seen by our American staff.

How is it that we can have everything, but have nothing at the same time? My heart was in shock as I watched those sweet, happy, pure, and respectful Ecuadorian people meander throughout buildings and roads without shoes, without food, carrying loads of goods to sell or babies on their backs...they are people with nothing, but have absolutely everything. The best part about it is that they know they have everything...they have a family, everyone is a friend, they have the sun, the rain...what else matters?

What else does matter I ask? Our fancy homes, the ten (or more) pair of shoes in our closet, the water that comes out pure and clean out of every faucet?
Not to the Ecuadorians...
LOVE everything.
keep a PRAYER in your HEART.
find a FRIEND in everyone.
discover a BLESSING everywhere.
be HAPPY for who you are.

As I step back and take a panoramic view of my life it is clear to see that material things tend to cloud cover the important things. Without needing to utter a word, the people of Ecuador have taught me numerous lessons... I will always be grateful for that.

keep love in your hearts...xoxo

9 comments:

Mat and Brooke said...

Wow. That was a beautiful entry. Now I understand why you weren't quite ready to come home. It's amazing how meeting people like that and having a few small, short glimpses of their attitudes and ways of life can change yours forever.

It's great to have you back home with us!

just dandee said...

Beautifully expressed! Thank you. What an amazing experience you and Shane had. I am excited to hear more about it and see pictures. But mostly I am excited to see you guys. Its been a long time and I've missed you. So glad you are home.

C and MC said...

I wondered if you were on a medical mission thing. How cool. It is so fun to get out of the everyday chaos of here and see how other people live. I completely agree with your thoughts, and the new perspective is such a blessing. Glad you're home safe.

Nina said...

That is something to think about. When I think about all I am blessed with, it really is amazing. So many things just seem normal until I step back and see that not everyone is so privileged. I heard a stat that in the US, happiness peeked in the 50's ( not surprising when you think about it). Doesn't it just make you want to simplify?!

jaci said...

I am so glad you love the people there as much as I do. Aren't they fabulous! Life sure isn't ever the same after you experience a place like that! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Mat and Brooke said...

Wow Kenz, I can't stop the tears. What a pure and glorious blessing this was to meet and be with the Ecuadorian people. I'm sure it has been a life changing experience for both you and Shane. Your thoughts are so recorded so beautifully Sweetheart. What a gift you have. So, so glad you're home. We missed you terribly.
Love, Mom

marla said...

I know we are not supposed to COVET, but how I wished I could have experienced what you had. It is absolutely amazing to me what service can do for your soul and your happiness. I too have seen people with nothing yet, they have everything. Maybe, just maybe, you will be able to do this again. Wow!! Keeps you going doesn't it?
Love, Aunt Marla

Jacy said...

Kenz you are such a talented writer and your experience sounds like it was amazing! We all need a little taste of that happiness don't we! I hope you don't mind me checking out your blog - I got it from your mom! Hope you're doing great!!! -Jacy Erickson

Circe said...

Hey, Jacy is my neighbor! I love your perspective. You know, some people visit developing countries and come back and say "It was dirty." It's so refreshing to hear such a pure and inspiring report form someone who clearly saw the heart of Equador and came away changed. Thanks for sharing! I'm so glad Araceli gets to be taught by you!