11.28.2011

our very expensive kitty...

Our adorable kitty, Duke, had to have emergency surgery one week ago today.  Sunday at 3:00 am, poor Duke became incredibly ill.  He couldn't keep anything down, even one tiny sip of water.  I was pacing around the house trying to figure out what was wrong when I found a little piece of ribbon that looked like it had been chewed on one side.  By Monday morning I took him into the vet.  The vet couldn't see anything from the x-ray but because we figured he had eaten ribbon he knew that Duke needed surgery...fast.
They rushed my poor, sick kitty into surgery where they shaved the fur off his belly and opened him up.  The vet found a rib sized ribbon that had rolled itself up and became lodged in his small intestine.  If it hadn't have been found Duke would have died in only a few days from a bowel obstruction.
It was very difficult for Duke to move for the first couple of days, but his medication made him so sweet!  He was obsessed with his hairbrush, and all he wanted was to be pet...over, and over, and over again.  The really hard thing about it all was that we couldn't hold him easily...but we were so glad that he was okay!

My parents took Dundee for a few days so Duke wouldn't be wanting to run around the house playing.  Once Dundee was home, he and Duke played non stop!  They must have really missed each other because I have found them touching noses multiple times since they have been back together.
I feel so blessed to have these two adorable animals in my home and in my life.  I never imagined life would be the way it is right now - but I love it.  Duke and Dundee give Shane and me so much love and laughter and fill our home with SO MUCH happiness.

6 comments:

Megan said...

So glad your kitty is okay! He is a cute little guy!

Rachael said...

WOW! So glad you were observant and realized he had eaten the ribbon! You two will be amazing parents one day!

N said...

Kenzie I can not believe all that your little family has been through! I hope next year has less hurdles for you and your family. :)

Rick and Angie said...

I'm sorry about Duke - poor thing! I LOVE the nutcracker pics - I look forward to them every year!

Mat and Brooke said...

I'm so glad that Duke is getting back to his normal self and health, and that he and Dundee can finally be reunited!! They are so lucky to have you and Shane.:)

Maura Lee said...

Goodness! Duke is such a trooper! How fun for him to have Dundee as a friend :) I hope he is doing better now! The vet is never a fun place for finances and as crappy as it is, it’s a must! I am so glad you were able to catch it so fast! Those little guys are so lucky to have you watching out for them :)