10.04.2011

my farm

As many of you know, Shane and I are the proud parents of one handsome goldfish - Gus, and one adorably feisty kitty - Duke.  To add to the mix we recently adopted an incredibly smart and lovable dog - Dundee. 
I wasn't ready to be a dog owner.  I never expected to be a dog owner.  I was already overly concerned about smells and extra hair in my house.  However, Shane and I have known Dundee ever since he was a puppy, and as much as I may not have realized it, even I had secured a special place in my heart for him.  Because of certain circumstances, Dundee wasn't happy in his home anymore.  Both my family and Shane's family worked together to find what home would best suit this almost 2 year old sheltie...it boiled down to either my Mom and Dad, or us.  Shane and I immediately knew what we needed to do, and we haven't viewed our decision with one ounce of regret since that day.




We were worried however; how would Duke react?  How would I train this dog to stay off of my sofas?  Could I handle the smell?  Here's how things are:


*Duke and Dundee have surprisingly become friends - no kidding.  Just today I caught them sleeping RIGHT next to each other.  They easily respect each other's privacy and don't become jealous for attention.  Who ever knew a 2 year old cat and 2 year old dog could get along so well?


*I told Dundee ONCE to not get on the sofa.  BINGO. 
*Dundee is NOT a smelly dog.  I didn't think this was possible!  Plus I have scentsys, candles, and oil burners to make a meat market smell GREAT so as far as I know, the smell hasn't been a problem.
*My sweet sister made the transition much easier by surprising us with all of our very favorite treats, including goods for our kitty-cat.  I LOVE MY SIS.  She is the most thoughtful person I know.



So, if you ever feel like visiting a farm (without the smell and mess that is...) you are more than welcome to our home!  We may not have human children in our home just yet, but our animal babies give us fantastic company... oh how we LOVE that!

And we sure love this puppy of ours...
 

10 comments:

{Emily Yeates} said...

oh my gosh. he is so cute. I want one.

Circe said...

Finally, a blog post about Dundee. We felt so betrayed when we saw Shane walking a dog we hadn't heard anything about! hee hee...just kidding. He is cute!!

N said...

We are so glad that your family is adjusting well to the newest member. :)

Maura Lee said...

He is adorable!! Congratulations, I have been trying to talk Taylor into letting us get another dog but he says that one is his limit.. I am glad that he and Duke get along so well, how fun!

Mat and Brooke said...

I totally agree with Emily!! {hehe} :)

Russell and Lauren said...

Congratulations! A GOOD dog is the best!

Shane said...

Well, I never could have imagined the animal combination that we have work so well. Not only does it work well for the animals but it works incredibly well for us. These animals really know how to brighten your day! I will have to say, kudos to kenzie for taking these animals in and not going crazy. Thank you kenzie for having so much love to go around! I love you!

Rachael said...

My parents have a Sheltie around the same age! He is so cute & such a good dog!!

Mat and Brooke said...

Hi Sweetie, it's Mom. What a fun post on your little farm. I will be the first to say that your house NEVER smells like a farm either. You and Shane are truly great doggy parents. I had no idea how much I loved that little dog until it became a possibility that he wouldn't be in our family any longer. How grateful I am to the two of you for taking him into your hearts and home. Lucky, lucky dog. :)
I love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Omigosh, Kenzie your dog is so cute! And so is your cat :D

-Hannah